Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Finally... The Call!


Lake Como!
Winter at Lake Como!


Today,2-22-12, Anziano Nolan Rhett Scheurn left the Missionary Training Center and headed to Milan Italy!
In the past few weeks Rhett's and Tom and my letters kept crossing so I was unclear what time Rhett's flight left today! I got a call this morning at 7:30am and I quickly picked the phone up and said..."Rhett IS THAT YOU"?? All I heard was "no, this is Bishop Porter"! Not to sound rude but I felt like saying "Why are you calling me and what do you want"? (I actually think I did say that to him) It was quite clear to Bishop he was not who I wanted to talk to! I don't have call waiting so I quickly got him off the phone and continued to wait for "THE BIG CALL"!!!
I stayed busy cleaning my house with my phone in my pocket and listening for the house phone! I waited so long and it got to be around one o'clock pm and still no call! I was so anxious that I finally called Anziano Smith's mom, who was Anziano Scheurn's MTC Companion, who lives in VA to ask her if she had heard from her son? Irene was just as stressed as I was waiting for her call! As we were talking a call came through my cell phone and it was a 801 number and when I saw that I pretty much just hung up on Irene! By the way Irene I am sorry for that quick hang up! I will say I was so thankful for Anziano Smith because he gave his mom much more detail so she shared it with me! Good job Anziano Smith love you for this!!This was how the flight went to Italy!
Leave the MTC at 10:00 AM Tuesday, Feb. 22nd. Take United Flight 252 from SLC which departs at 1:40 and arrive in Denver at 3:03. Leave Denver at 5:40, fly to Frankfurt, Germany, arriving at 11:35 AM on the morning of Feb. 23rd. Leave Frankfurt at 3:45 PM and arrive in Milano at 4:55 PM!!!
So Rhett called from Salt Lake and I quickly picked the phone up and said in a rather LOUD EXCITED VOICE... RHETT IS THAT YOU!!! All I heard was Ciao!! I said "This is not Rhett don't play tricks get Anziano Scheurn"!!! Rhett is a tease so it would be like him to do something like this! Again I say" I don't know who this is but get my son, I don't have much time"!!! AGAIN he say "Mom this is Rhett...Ciao"!! I finally calmed down enough to some what recognize it was Anziano Scheurn but he sounded so different to me! I kept telling him "Rhett why do you sound so different"? He said he did not know why! I think now that I have calmed down I now know why ! Rhett has always been such a fun loving boy but in this time in the MTC He has became more of a man in this short time! He has relied strictly on the Lord and has completely surrendered his life over to his Heavenly Father! It is an amazing process as a mother and father watch this happen! He was so tender and sweet on the phone! Not once did he say "Mom I really miss you nor did he say that about anyone! He was ready!!!
All he could talk about was the excitement he had to get to Italy and truly start learning the language fluently! He kept saying that he could not wait to talk in Sacrament meeting in Italy! I did at that point wonder if Rhett was having his Representative call me when I heard him say this! Rhett usually does NOT like to speak in sacrament!
Anziano Scheurn Is definitely Enlisted and ready to be part of Heavenly Father's Royal Army!
It was so wonderful to hear how happy he was and to hear how much he loved the MTC! He told me that he felt like he already knew the Italian people somewhat and could not wait to find the people that his Heavenly Father had prepared for him!
Rhett spoke of his testimony on the phone with me and shared things from his heart that was so touching! I just sat with tears rolling down my cheeks as I listened to this young boy we put on a plane to Utah December 15th and on this day February 22, 2011, he has now turned into a young man! The power and spirit that came from him as we spoke was " Molto palpabile forte e dolce"!
We did get to Talk to Anziano Scheurn for about five minutes while he was in Frankfurt Germany. He talked about a woman all the Anziani talked to while on the plane who was from Milan. He said they taught her on the plane! He also shared with me of a blessing they gave while on the plane! Nothing I love more than to hear of a young new missionary using his priesthood in times of need!
It was great to hear from President Wolfgramm's wife, Sorella (sister) Wolfgramm Wednesday night! She told me just what a missionary mother would LOVE to hear! Sorella Wolfgramm said Anziano Scheurn arrived safely with the other 13 Anziani and she knew he would be a great missionary. She said, she loved his excitement and enthusiasm! She said he looked Italian and would fit in great! I know she told ALL the other moms the same thing but it was great to hear from her! (Missionary moms are sort of a strange breed of people while they have a missionary out!)
Sorella Wolfgramm said Anziano Scheurn would be serving in Lecco which is near Lake Como and it was about 45 minutes north of Milano! She also Told me that the Stake President.... President Delsoto lived in Lecco!
We can't wait for our first email from Anziano Scheurn next Wednesday! Tom and I look forward to the spirit that abides in your home as you have a missionary in the field! We have been so blessed always through the ups and downs of life but I love the spirit that is in our home when one of your children are serving the Lord full time!
It is so cute to hear our ten grand kids speak of their Uncle Rhett! Our grand kids are from one to eight years of age and.... to hear them say Anziano Scheurn /Uncle Rhett is on his mission in Italy is so sweet! They will miss their Uncle but they also know that they want to go on a mission just like their Uncle Rhett!!!
Anziano Scheurn...
Noi vi amiamo cosi tanto! Servire con tutto il cuore e forza! Ricordo sprint fino alla fine! Dio sia con te finche' non ci incontreemo di nuovo mio figlio prezioso! Caio!
(we love you so much! Serve with all your heart and might! Remember sprint to the end! God be with you till we meet again my precious son!)

No comments:

Post a Comment